President Pranab Mukherjee addressed the nation on the eve of our 70th Independence Day. Here are some of the top quotes from his address:
- May our studies be brilliant; may there be no hostility amongst us; may there be Peace Peace Peace.
- We are in the process of forging new relationships based on shared values and mutual benefit with all countries.
- India’s focus in foreign policy will remain on peaceful co-existence & harnessing tech & resources for eco development.
- I respectfully bow to the heroes of independence struggle who fought & sacrificed their lives to win freedom.
- India will grow, only when all of India grows; the excluded ones have to be included in the development process.
- It is much more important to look to the future; it is time to join hands to cooperate, innovate and advance.
- We often celebrate the achievements of our ancient past but it would be wrong to rest on our laurels.
- We should promote scientific temper by questioning our beliefs which aren’t compatible with scientific way of thinking.
- Passage of GST bill is reason enough to celebrate our democratic maturity.
- World has witnessed a spate of terror activities having their roots in radicalization of people on basis of religion. These forces pose a danger to entire comity of nations; world will have to fight them unconditionally & in one voice.
- Attacks on weaker sections that militate against our national ethos are aberrations that need to be dealt with firmly.
- Disruptions, obstructionism & unmindful pursuit of divisive political agenda lead to institutional travesty
- We cannot call ourselves a civilized society if we fail in providing safety and security to our women and children.
- We must take destiny in our own hands to build the India of our dreams.
- As we build an India of smart cities, towns & villages, we must ensure they are humane, hi-tech and happy places.
Credits to text: Times of India / Photo © Ramesh Menon, Abu Dhabi