Safety First – Do’s and Don’t for driving during foggy weather
Safe driving tips (source : GULF NEWS/Ministry of Interior UAE)
- Slow down gradually and drive at a speed that suits the conditions.
- Use your low-beam headlights.
- If you have fog lights, use them, in addition to low beams.
- Be patient. Avoid passing, changing lanes and crossing traffic.
- Use pavement markings to help guide you. Use the right edge of the road as a guide, rather than the centre line.
- Increase your distance with the vehicle ahead.
- Keep looking as far ahead as possible.
- If the fog is too dense to continue, pull completely off the road and try to position your vehicle in a protected area from other traffic. Turn on the hazard lights.
- Don’t drive with your hazard lights continuously on and flashing.
- Don’t stop on the road. You could become the first link in a chain-reaction collision.
- Don’t speed up suddenly, even if the fog seems to be clearing.
- Don’t speed up to pass a vehicle moving slowly.